Wednesday, June 25, 2008

He Leads Me Beside the Still Waters

Sometime I feel that I’m not a very strong Christian! My faith is fickle and unstable. When thins go well, I feel able to conquer the whole world. When life gets difficult, I wonder if I’m even going to manage to survive the day. Can you identify? I suspect most people can.

Lately my focus has been drawn to Psalm 23, and I’ve discovered some very encouraging truths. None more encouraging that verse 2 – “He leads me beside the still waters.”

Sheep are very timid creatures – something like myself! I’ve read that sheep are especially afraid of fast moving water. I also get afraid when life moves too swiftly for my comfort!
Sheep should be afraid of water. Because of their heavy coat of wool, the water would soak into it, making it heavy, and the sheep would easily drown. But the shepherd doesn’t laugh at the sheep’s fears. He doesn’t even try to force the sheep. Instead, as he leads the sheep through valleys and mountains, he is constantly looking for still waters, where the sheep can be comfortable and quench their thirst. If he cannot find still waters, when the sheep are sleeping and resting, he will gather stones and make a small dam in a stream where even the smallest lamb can drink from without any fear.


So here is the deal: God knows my limitations, my fears and my lack of faith. And he doesn’t condemn me because I have weaknesses. He doesn't force me to go where I can’t be safe. He never demands work from me that is beyond my strength and abilities.

Instead, He is constantly looking after my needs. He understands the loads I carry. And He also knows where the places of relief are located.
It gives me so much confidence to know that even while I am sleeping, the Shepherd is working to prepare for my needs of tomorrow.

Psalm 121:3-4 – “The LORD is your protector, and he won't go to sleep or let you stumble. The protector of Israel doesn't doze or ever get drowsy.”

Here is a practical exercise for you when you start getting stressed: Close your eyes, and get a picture of still waters. Maybe a small dam, tucked away between tall beautiful trees, in the mountains. Perhaps it’s a small stream, gently running down a hill, with green grass at its sides. Perhaps you’re on a beautiful, quiet beach, where the ocean is calm, lapping gently at your feet. When the picture becomes clear in your mind, start repeating and believing; “He leads me beside the still waters.” But don’t just say it. Believe it!!! And keep saying and believing it until it starts becoming a reality to you.

This will help you, when the heat of the day is on, to know that there is refreshing and relaxing power available to you, that comes from our Great Shepherd.
This morning I was paging trough a hymn book – looking for an appropriate song for a family who were preparing for a funeral of a loved one. I stumbled across these words, and I instantly knew that they were meant for you;

“God will take care of you
through all the day
Shielding your footsteps,
directing your way
He is your Shepherd,
Protector and Guide,
Leading His children where
still waters glide.”

I know this is the feeling David had when he wrote the Twenty-Third Psalm. And I know that as these words saturate your mind, it will give you that same assurance too.

No comments: